Surface and Interface Engineering in Advanced Materials: Ruhr University Bochum
- Dr.-Ing., Dr. rer. nat.
- Surface and Interface Engineering in Advanced Materials: Ruhr University Bochum, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Dr. Angela Büttner, Max-Planck-Straße 1, Düsseldorf, 40237, Germany
- Material Technology
- Course Language(s)
- Teaching language: English; German language training offered
- Course Beginning
- 3 years
- App Deadline
- for deadlines see: http://www.imprs-surmat.mpg.de
- Scholarship and Grants
About the programme
As the close collaboration between science and engineering departments is the key factor for knowledge-based surface and interface engineering each PhD student will be supervised by more than one member of SurMat and typically by members of both the surface science and the materials engineering community.
In addition to research, the interdisciplinary education of students is of particular importance for SurMat. The aim is that each student will gain an insight in concepts and methods of interface analysis and engineering that can be applied in various fields of advanced materials development such as metals, coatings, electronics and medicine.
Students holding either an excellent Master's degree or diploma in chemistry, physics, mechanical engineering, materials science, geoscience or related subjects can apply for admission.
- Students holding Master's degrees can be admitted directly to the PhD programme.
- Students holding Bachelor's degrees in Science or Engineering cannot be admitted to IMPRS-SurMat. Anyhow, they can enroll in a Master's programme at the Ruhr University Bochum (RUB) and apply for admission after having finished their Master studies. Already existing Master courses in the Departments of Geoscience, Chemistry and Physics can be taken as an entry for SurMat.
English Language requirments
- TOEFL: paper-based test (overall score above 550), computer-based test (above 213) and a score of at least 4.0 in the Test of Written English (TWE, essay)
- IELTS: a minimum of Band 6 in all four sections. Official copies of test scores or transcripts should be sent to the IMPRS-SurMat
- If you cannot manage to provide us with a certificate, equivalent information to prove your English proficiency must be submitted (e.g. proven higher education in English or certificates demonstrating sufficient language ability and training).
People who viewed 'Surface and Interface Engineering in Advanced Materials: Ruhr University Bochum
' also found interest in following institutions . . .